Heretical Builders  

Go Back   Heretical Builders > Main Forum > Generators

Generators Electric, magnetic, mechanical or any other type.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Landlord

Default Nathan Stubblefield coil as a self runner

This was posted over on OU and I was impressed by it's simplicity. It would be fairly easy to make, although a tad tedious winding the coil. Nevertheless, a great experiment to try. This guys motor has been running for over a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbaub2kkkpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuMoaDXyFZU

Cheers,

Ted
Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Landlord

Default Re: Nathan Stubblefield coil as a self runner

New small coil setup..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5XoxYAmaJQ
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Landlord

There's a few dickheads over at OU who are trying to downplay the importance, and discourage the replication of this device. For that reason, and the fact that it's an interesting phenomenon, I'm going to build one of these.
This one clown in particular,"omnibus", is so obnoxiously insistent that people shouldn't bother with this device that I'm going to build one just to piss him off.
I know this is a juvenile response, but it still gives me a lot of perverse motivation to prove him wrong.

Ted
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Heretic

Very cool, thanks ted
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Heretic

Thumbs up Re: Nathan Stubblefield coil as a self runner

Hi Ted, That is another one of the projects I would like to have time to get into. I am glad to see you decide to work on it. With your attention to detail and experimental attitude I am sure I will learn a lot from your efforts. Thanks for going for it. I quit going to that forum a long time ago because it seems like most of the people there are only trying to prove everyone else is wrong. They are even worse than EF. At least at EF there are only a few who insist they know it all. Unfortunately they are the ones in control. Thanks again for creating a forum where we can work together.

Carroll
Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
Hi Ted, That is another one of the projects I would like to have time to get into. I am glad to see you decide to work on it. With your attention to detail and experimental attitude I am sure I will learn a lot from your efforts. Thanks for going for it. I quit going to that forum a long time ago because it seems like most of the people there are only trying to prove everyone else is wrong. They are even worse than EF. At least at EF there are only a few who insist they know it all. Unfortunately they are the ones in control. Thanks again for creating a forum where we can work together.

Carroll
I'm glad you guys are here. The forum is for you guys to use and enjoy. It only costs me about $10.00 a year to rent the server space, so it's no much of a financial burden.
OU does have some shady characters, but I don't mind getting into it once in a while. You can occasionally come across some interesting threads like this one. What can I say, I'm an energy junkie so I go slumming if I need a fix.
This is as far as I've gotten with the coil:

I built a 6" acrylic frame for the coil. That way I can insert different cores, or no core. I also built this winding machine yesterday. I've had the motor for some time and it has a nice reduction gear box on it. I also put a foot switch on it so I can have my hands free.
Theres no speed control, but the price was right since I salvaged the motor. The speed is fine for most winds anyway.
I suppose I should also get a counter for it, but I don't generally use one. It would be nice for the new motor though. Balancing the coils would be better than guessing.
Anyway, I decided to start with 20 AWG wire. I got 150 feet of both bare copper and steel. I have a plan to weave the cotton into the wind so I won't need cloth covered wire.
We'll see how it goes...

Ted
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Landlord

I got a few layers put on today. I wound one row of steel, then put a layer of cotton down. Then I wound a row of copper. I left enough space between the loops to keep them insulated from one another, and to have a space for the next winding to fit into.

Each row is a separate strand and I just connect them at the ends. This makes it much easier to wind.
I think in the end the result will be satisfactory since the copper will be right next to the steel, separated by a layer of cotton and all the layers will be in series.
I haven't taken any measurements yet except to check for shorts. I should have it done by tomorrow and then we'll see if it works.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Landlord

Finished it. It took forever to wind. I used about 200 feet of both copper and steel 20awg wire.

The dry voltage across the coil was .69 volts with the copper positive. Current was a minuscule 40 ua.
I sprayed it with some tap water, which got about a third of the layers wet, and the voltage went up to .75 volts. The current jumped up to 19 ma.
The current and voltage were unaffected by inserting an iron core into the coil. The iron did polarized and would deflect a compass at either end. However, I couldn't get any response from either the compass or a piece of steel wire when I shorted the coil.
I'm not used to these low power devices. If I fire one of my motor coils up on the bench, I get all kinds of metal crap flying around.
Anyway, I decided to soak it in salt water and see how it worked after that. It currently reads .82 volts at a respectable 85ma. I'll dry it out and see if those values hold up.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Landlord

These things are weird. When I shorted the two ends of the copper together and short the two steel ends, the current between the two went up to 106ma. Instantaneous current is over 200ma, then it drops down to a steady 106.
I couldn't detect any solenoidal pull either. A steel rod partially out of the center exhibits no detectable movement when the leads are shorted, even when balanced on a very soft spring. This indicates little or no net current flow in one direction, which would be keeping with two generators (the two wires) pushing current in opposite directions. But then how do we get a polarity on the steel? A slight imbalance maybe?
I'm not really sure anymore how Laser's motor is running either. Perhaps there's some inductance from the spinning magnets that dictates polarity? I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Landlord

Continuing along with the weird theme... I shorted all the separate windings together, both top and bottom... and the current increased. You can see when it's in the vertical position the current is around 119ma. When I tipped it over to show the bottom shorts, it gave me a few more ma's.

I don't know whether to consider this a battery or a self filling capacitor (is there a difference?). I doesn't act like a coil though. I'll bet you could get the same results with two sheets of metal coiled up like a capacitor with some cotton in between. That's essentially what I have here. I may try that next...

Ted
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Heretic

Hi Ted,

Nice initiative (as usual)

Just to be sure you did not miss these illustrative videos.

Have you seen this build series ?

http://www.vidoemo.com/videosearch.p...bblefield+coil

and this

http://www.vidoemo.com/videosearch.p...magnet+effects

Eric
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Landlord

Yes, I saw those, thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Long Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Continuing along with the weird theme... I shorted all the separate windings together, both top and bottom... and the current increased. You can see when it's in the vertical position the current is around 119ma. When I tipped it over to show the bottom shorts, it gave me a few more ma's.

I don't know whether to consider this a battery or a self filling capacitor (is there a difference?). I doesn't act like a coil though. I'll bet you could get the same results with two sheets of metal coiled up like a capacitor with some cotton in between. That's essentially what I have here. I may try that next...

Ted
It's interesting that you're getting a higher reading with it horizontal. Have you tried changing the North/South orientation?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Landlord

I went to check on it this morning and I think it died overnight. It read only .2 volts and the current was a paltry 10ma.
I stuck it outside in the sun to warm it up. Perhaps that will revive it. Maybe it needed a constant load to keep it going?
We'll see if the patient revives in a couple of hours.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Long Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I went to check on it this morning and I think it died overnight. It read only .2 volts and the current was a paltry 10ma.
I stuck it outside in the sun to warm it up. Perhaps that will revive it. Maybe it needed a constant load to keep it going?
We'll see if the patient revives in a couple of hours.
I think I read somewhere that the copper has to be corroded. If so, you'd need to use bare copper wire and swab it with copper sulfate. You can get this 'antiquing' solution, which is called Copper Patina, at a stained glass store.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Volland View Post
I think I read somewhere that the copper has to be corroded. If so, you'd need to use bare copper wire and swab it with copper sulfate. You can get this 'antiquing' solution, which is called Copper Patina, at a stained glass store.
Thanks for the info. I'm using bare wire and I dipped it in salt water, so that's a start.
I did find a short and managed to isolate that section. The voltage is back up to .49 volts, but it's still nothing to write home about. I think you would have to make a really big coil for it to do much.
I really should get back to my sammich motor but I've lost the momentum. I need to find some inspiration somewhere. 10 hours more work will see it running, but I can't seem to kindle the spark.
I even cleaned the shop...

Ted
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Apprentice

I love all this sort of stuff, people making things and doing experiments I just wish I could pop-by and you show me what's happening.
Is there a patent I should be looking at? My first question is, can we be sure the effect is not just electrolysis?

It really makes me revisit all my inductor/capacitior theory trying to figure out how these things work.

Last edited by VictorVolts; 02-20-2012 at 06:19 AM.